De-Inflame with Superfoods, Part IISaturday, April 17, 2010 by: Dr. David Jockers, citizen journalist
(NaturalNews) The human body has an incredible ability and desire to heal itself. Part of this self-healing process is the inflammatory cascade. This process is critical, but typically for a short period of time. However, when balancing mechanisms such as anti-inflammatory mediators are deficient or of poor quality, the inflammatory response grows too strong.
The food we eat every day plays a critical role in the inflammatory balance within our system. Here are several great foods to quiet down the inflammatory fires.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: This super tonic contains acetic acid which is known to help the body absorb iron more effectively. Iron is primarily used as the mineral backbone within hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the oxygen carrying molecule within red blood cells. Myoglobin, the oxygen extracting molecule within muscle, also consists of an iron backbone. Higher levels of bioavailable iron allow the body to better utilize oxygen. Boosting oxygen levels increases both energy production and detoxification processes.
The Acetic acid and active enzymes within the ACV also help the body metabolize protein and absorb the amino acids more effectively. This is a critical step for building healthy hormones and enzymes and repairing tissue. Through these mechanisms, ACV helps to recover from injury, excessive exercise, and states of chronic pain. Additionally, better enzymatic function will increase energy and sense of well-being.
ACV is an acid on the outside of our body, but has an alkaline ash when it is digested within our body. This is the best of both worlds. As an acid it is a powerful sterilizer that is great for improving the quality of our skin & hair. Additionally, it is great at removing warts, acting upon acne, and cleansing the body of dead skin cells.
Within the body, ACV balances our overall pH by providing alkaline buffering minerals in ionic potassium and magnesium. This benefit enhances overall energy production and detoxification processes. Be sure to purchase your ACV completely raw and unpasteurized with an intact "mother."
2. Turmeric: This powerhouse is the 4st highest anti-oxidant rich herb, containing an incredible ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbency Capacity) score of 159,277. The major ingredient curcumin is what gives turmeric its characteristic orange color. The curcuminoids within turmeric are said to be 5-8 times stronger at scavenging free radicals than Vitamin C & E. The molecules are strong enough to take on the hydroxyl free radical which is considered to be the most reactive of all free radicals.
Curcuminoids help to cleanse & nourish your skin while balancing the skin`s natural microflora that protects you from infections. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, acting to down-regulate the inflammatory mediating COX-2 & MMP9 receptors. Additionally, it reverses many common cancer cell transcription factors such as NF-Kappa Beta. The curcuminoids have been labeled by many as some of the most powerful cancer fighting substances on the planet.
3. Oregano: Oregano is extraordinarily high in antioxidant activity, ranking in as the 3rd highest herb with an ORAC score of 200,129. The primary anti-oxidant components are phenolic acids and flavonoids. Oregano oil has incredible anti-bacterial functions due to its high content of thymol, a powerful phenol. Additionally, oregano has been found to be the most effective substance against MRSA staph infections, beating out the 18 currently used anti-biotics in a recent study.
Oregano oil has been classically used as a disinfectant, an aid for ear, nose, & throat/respiratory infections, candida, and any sort of bacterial or viral conditions. Additionally, it works to suppress inflammatory mediators and cancer cell production. Oregano oil is more potent than the dried herb; however, the dried version still contains many powerful health benefits.
Subscribe to emails from :
- Better World News: http://at7l.us/mailman/listinfo/bwn_at7l.us
- Learning News - children learning, how mind works: http://at7l.us/mailman/listinfo/learn_at7l.us
- Health News - better ways of healthy living: http://at7l.us/mailman/listinfo/health_at7l.us
- Good Morning World - Robert & Barbara Muller's daily idea-dream for a better world: http://www.goodmorningworld.org/emaillist/#subscribe
or send a request a subscription to any of the three lists here.
View these blogs:
- Better World News
- Learning News
- Health News
- Good Morning World